Follow the methods below to disable Windows 10 update correctly.
Solution 1. Disable Windows Update Service
Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time. Here are the directions:
1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.
4. In Startup type, select « Disabled ». Then click « Apply » and « OK » to save the settings.
Solution 2. Change the Setting of the Group Policy Editor
The Group Policy feature is not available in the Home edition. So, only when you run Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, or Education, you can use the Group Policy Editor to change the settings to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating. The group policy editor will notify you of new updates without automatically installing them.
- Press the Windows logo key + R then type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Go to « Computer Configuration » > « Administrative Templates » > « Windows Components » > « Windows Update ».
- Double-click « Configure Automatic Updates ».
- Select « Disabled » in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and « OK » to disable the Windows automatic update feature.
Note: If you need to update your Windows version later, you can repeat the steps above, then select Enabled to turn on this feature, so that you can continue to download the updates.
Solution 3. Meter Your Network Connection
Understand that this method won’t work for Ethernet connections. You can only disable automatic updates by using this method on a Wi-Fi connection. If your computer is connected to WiFi, you can try this to stop Windows 10 automatic updates.
1. Click the Start button at the bottom left on your desktop, then click the « Settings » app.
2. Click « Network & Internet ».
3. Click WiF in the left pane, then click the name of your Wi-Fi connection.
4. Click to turn on Set as metered connection
Solution 4. Change the way of Windows 10 Updates Using Registry
You can use the registry editor to perform some changes and desable Windows update.Here’s how to make the change in Registry:
1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
2. Type regedit, and click OK to open the Registry.
Browse the following path:
3. Right-click the Windows (folder) key, select « New » and then click « Key ».
4. Name the new key « WindowsUpdate » and press « Enter ».
5. Right-click the newly created key, select « new », and click « Key ».
6. Name the new key AU and press Enter.
Inside the newly created key, right-click on the right side, select « New », and click on « DWORD (32-bit) Value ».
7. Name the new key AUOptions and press Enter.
Double-click the newly created key and change its value to 2. It’s for « Notify for download and notify for install ». Click « OK ».
8. Close the Registry to complete the task.
Using this value prevents Windows 10 from downloading updates automatically, and you’ll get a notification when new updates are available. By this way, you can avoid any auto Windows 10 update effectively.
Solution 5. Use Win Update Stop v1.4
This small Windows OS utility allows you to manually disable or enable automatic Windows updates. Sometimes you may want to stop Windows updates so you can choose when to download and install new Windows updates. As you know, Windows updates are very important but they are also known to occasionally create some incompatibilities or problems with the Operating System and the applications installed. Use this utility to block Windows updates and re-enable them when you desire. This program now installs a Windows service to permanently disable Windows updates on Windows 10, so you need to
keep Win Update Stop installed in the system.
Disable Windows Updates
First, keep in mind that it is very important to keep your system up-to-date. However, if you want to disable or stop automatic Windows updates, you can use this free utility. There is no built-in option to permanently disable automatic Windows updates via Control Panel or Settings App in Windows 10, and by default Windows automatically installs any update found. With this simple tool you can permanently disable Windows Updates and re-enable Windows Updates when you want.
Stop Windows Updates
Permanently disable automatic Windows Updates via a simple GUI.
Windows Update Status
Find out if the Windows Updates are enabled or disabled in your PC.
Check for Updates
Click on ”Check for Windows Updates” to open the Windows Update App.
Works on XP, 7, 8, 10
This tool works on all Windows OS version, from Windows XP to Windows 10.
Run the program via command-line with /disableupdates or /enableupdates
Free to Use
This software is completely free to use for anyone, at home and at work.
That’s how you could make an attempt to disable Windows 10 update in every way. Each method has been proved to work as long as you wish to turn off all the automatic updates in Windows 10.